Monday, March 7, 2011

Kid-Approved Pecan-Crusted Chicken Tenders

So, I never really buy chicken tenders from the grocery store.  You know, the frozen, pre-battered kind.

I know, I know. . .

Actually, we try not to eat a lot of processed foods in the Downey house.  No, I'm no one of THOSE people.  You know, the crazy ones.  But I do believe that if you can make it yourself, then you are usually going to (a) save money and (b) make something healthier and tastier. 

The first time I made these, my stepson said "These taste just like Chick-fil-a."  I was speechless with joy. 

The popularity of these tenders may mitigate (on some small level) the displeasure of having to eat steamed broccoli, so throw a green veggie in there.

Pecan-Crusted Chicken Tenders
(adapted from Southern Living)
1 1/2 pounds chicken (I use three large chicken breasts and slice them into tenders instead of buying actual tenders - more economical with minimal effort)
16 saltine crackers, finely crushed (I do this in the food processor)
1/4 pecans, ground (again, food processor makes this a snap)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons paprika
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 egg whites, beaten until foamy

1.  Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Mix crushed crackers and next 4 ingredients. 
2.  Place a wire rack coated with cooking spray in a foil-lined jelly-roll pan.
3.  Drege chicken in flour, shaking off excess.  Dip in egg white, then dredge in saltine mixture.  Lightly coat
    chicken on both sides with cooking spray; arrange chicken on wire rack.
4. Bake for 18 minutes or until golden brown, turning once after 12 minutes.  Serve up with ketchup and
    honey mustard. Watch them DISAPPEAR before your EYES.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm definitely trying these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like using crackers or corn flakes in chicken tender recipes. Any sub ideas?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...