Wednesday, July 20, 2011

There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away

Don't you just love Emily Dickinson?




I made a recent observation.  Looking up from my spot on the couch, I saw that all three of us sitting there had a nose in a book.  Minutes later, I spotted the other of our family of four reading a book while brushing his teeth.

Boy, we are some readin' rascals.

There's so much to do in our busy lives . . . so much zaps our time.  This is why seeing people enjoying reading brings me so much pleasure.

Reading is a personal habit.  As an English teacher, I can say without reservation that avid readers tend to be better writers, better communicators, and better students.  I'd be willing to suggest that this makes them better employees, citizens, and contributing members of families and society.

But enough with the sobering facts.  Sometimes, it's just fun, you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...