Saturday, September 24, 2011

Birthday Wishes and Cream Cheese Pound Cake

We just celebrated a 10-year-old birthday. Hard to believe! This girl is growing into a beautiful, poised, intelligent, loving, funny young lady.

She requested a "plain pound cake" for her birthday, which made her grandfather really happy because he loves it and was here to commemorate the event with us.





I made my old stand-by, Cream Cheese Pound Cake.  Pound cake may be the easiest dessert to make.  It's a great place for a novice baker to start because it's virtually fool-proof, even making it from scratch. 

This recipe came from  my mother or my Nana or my Mother Rene, but I'm not certain which one.  I've made it so many times and for so many years that I forget. 



Cream Cheese Pound Cake
1-1/2 cups butter (3 sticks), softened
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
3 cups granulated sugar
6 large eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a sturdy mixer, cream butter, cream cheese, and sugar until fluffy.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour then vanilla extract.  Pour into a greased and floured 9" bundt pan. Bake at 300 degrees Fahrenheit for 2 hours, until golden brown.  Let sit for a few minutes in pan then invert onto rack for cooling.

Your slice of cream cheese pound cake may best be enjoyed after running through a sprinkler, especially given that autumn is right around the corner and you won't be able to do that much longer.

2 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...